Six things you need to know about travel this week
- Ryanair looks to Germany for growth spurt
- Holiday World visitors up 11pc
- Arizona says approach the Grand Canyon from the north
- Travel Trade Skillnet programme comes to an end after 2,300 training days
- Superbreak’s four prong launch in Ireland
- Zika the latest alarm for international travel
Travel Extra TV
Our video of the week shows Casey Neistat and friends snowboarding through the streets of the Big Apple — with a cameo appearance from the NYPD. Watch here.
- Keeping up the snow theme, here is a timelapse of the 2016 blizzard that hit the east coast of the United States, shot in Purcellville, Virginia. Watch here. And here’s compilation of the best snow dives during the blizzard. Watch here.
- The US Embassy in Dublin uploaded a video of Ambassador Kevin O’Malley at Holiday World Show 2016 in the RDS Simmonscourt. Watch here.
- Qantas launched a new safety video that showcases Australia. Watch here.
- Ryan Pernofski put together a beautiful collage of two years worth of surfing footage captured off Australia’s Central Coast. Watch here.
- Golfer and Etihad Airways guest ambassador Martin Kaymer takes the desert bunker challenger in Abu Dhabi. Watch here.
- Introducing Services by Airbus. Watch here.
- See Ryanair’s winter getaways promo. Watch here.
- Tourism Ireland continues its partnership with PBS in 2016, sponsoring the broadcast of the final season of Downton Abbey in New York, Boston and Chicago. The campaign focuses on the launch of Ireland’s Ancient East. Watch here.
- Aer Lingus’s recap of 2015. Watch here. Aer Lingus also launched a video to publicise their North American sale featuring a Stormtrooper and a Naked Cowboy in Stephen’s Green.
- Qatar Airways at the Bahrain International Airshow 2016. Watch here. Qatar celebrated the launch of its daily service to LA with a gala evening at the Dolby Theatre. Watch here.
- Emirates showcases its two class configuration A380 at the Bahrain Airshow. Watch here.
- See Tourism Ireland’ promo for Dublin – A Breath of Fresh Air. Watch here.
Behind the Headlines
Ryanair gave its strongest hint yet of where it will get most of its passengers in its latest phase of growth. Germany and its neighbours is providing the biggest chunk, followed by eastern Europe, while Ryanair is leaving Scandinavia to itself for SAS and Norwegian to scrap things out on fares. The message Kenny Jacobs and Robin Kiely wanted to leave from its Wednesday morning briefing was that Ryanair would handle the short haul business out of Dublin and Aer Lingus the long haul. Tammy Donohoe and Liana Pavlucenko stopped by to showcase Ryanair’s new uniforms, and new Marketing Operations Director Matthias Wenk also stopped by to meet the media. Picture shows Robin Kiely, Tammy Donohoe, Kenny Jacobs, Liana Pavlucenko and Matthias Wenk at the launch. Ryanair used the opportunity to warn customers and commentators that now is the time to book Spain and fates and hotel prices can only go up. Listen here to Kenny Jacobs’ full presentation from the event. Listen here to the full Q&A session. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
Ryanair’s new winter routes from Dublin are Hamburg 5w and Sofia 3w (using a with a Sofia based aircraft), services to Athens 2w, Bologna 2w, Murcia 2w, Porto 2w and Seville 2w are extended to winter and there are more flights to Bucharest 5w and Gatwick, 8 daily.
Visitors to Holiday World 2016 at the RDS Simmonscourt were up 11pc. Retail agencies at the event reported bookings up even further and the highest level of enquiries since 2008. Robin Kiely of Ryanair revealed major changes to the algorithm systems used by Ryanair’s new website booking engine at the Eoghan Corry Travel Summit during the event. Edmond Hourican commented: Belief and confidence in the travel market continues to improve on last year. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
After 2,300 training days and 2,500 customers, 900 in the past year, the Travel Industry Skillnet programme came to an end. In the absence of support via the Travel Professionals Skillnet, ISME Skillnet will be treating all members of ITAA, ITOA, ITOF and CTTC to preferred rates for training. Should you have any specific requirements that you would like addressed, Liz Carroll is the Network Manager at ISME Skillnet and is available at email@example.com or at 01 6622755. Fionnuala Carter said: “It has been wonderful to work in such an energetic industry and I have very much enjoyed engaging and collaborating with all that participated in our training and delivery.” Travel Extra’s Eoghan Corry dedicated to Fionnuala a rendition of Fionnghuala at the Irish Travel Industry awards last week.
SuperBreak launched their long anticipated Irish operation with a 52-page brochure, bookable Euro website, local rate number for access to SuperBreak’s contact centre and sales support teams. Picture shows Graham Balmforth and Madeleine Roast.
Another week of alarm for international travel as the DFA advised Irish citizens to be aware of the risks of Zika Virus and to take the appropriate precautions if visiting 20 countries in Central and South America and the Caribbean. Irish Citizens are advised to follow guidance available on the website of the Health Protection Surveillance Centre. The WHO will decide on Monday if it is to give the virus the public health emergency status that has only been declared on three previous occasions, for polio, swine flu and ebola.
The Irish Open press conference hosted by Michael Davern this week at the K Club focussed on the paradox of Ireland’s showcase golf event, why a tournament which is among the top two best attended and is just outside the top five in prize money is assigned a date in May (Travel Extra set the agenda with the first question). Philip Reid asked about getting a more prominent date for the tournament. Listen here to the Q&A from the event. Picture shows Michael Davern GM of the K Club, Gary Funston President of the Rory foundation and Antonia Beggs of the European PGA. Listen here to Antonia Beggs of European PGA speaking at the event. Listen here to Michael Davern. Listen here to Gary Funston. Listen here to George Horan. Listen here to Redmond O’Donoghue. Travel Extra’s aisling for the tournament on May 19-22: because Straffan has no restriction on attendance we could see a record attendance for a European PGA event, ideally with Rory and another Irishman contending for the lead on Saturday and Sunday and 130,000 filling the galleries. Yes we can. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
Today FM’s Topflight ski trip brought 500 insomniac skiers to Austria for an event that is as well known for it slate nights as its morning ski runs.
Tony Alba from Arizona Office of Tourism visited Dublin with hints on how best to view the Grand Canyon: from the north side rather than the touristy South and the Nevada-facing west. It can be a long walk but Tony says it is worth it. He also listed his favourite ghost towns in the Arizona state. Picture shows Tony briefing the travel media in Dublin.
US Ambassador Kevin O’Malley attended the InterExchange and SAYIT J1 Job Fair in Dublin to meet and greet with 2016 J1 applicants and US Employers. Under new terms of the J1 scheme applicants have to have secured a job in the USA in advance of travel.
The total number of overseas trips made by Irish residents during the period October – December 2015 rose by 5.9pc to 1,544,800.
Members of the Irish Travel Agents Association say bookings are 50pc ahead of last year with many agents reporting their strongest January since 2010. John Spollen of Cassidy Travel said there was a growing confidence about the country is one of the many reasons driving demand our travel shops seeing increased bookings from families along with cruises and lates as people look to escape the horrible Irish winter.
Dundalk travel agent John McGuill launched his new website, faty.ie.
On the Beach’s license, issued on March 11 2015 with an expiry date of April 30 2016, but was cancelled by the Commission of Aviation Regulation.
Topflight expanded their summer holiday programme to include a luxury holiday selection to the Algarve. See Deal Watch for more.
Qantas launched an Australia Day prize draw with a chance to win one of three great prizes: a pair of return Economy tickets from London Heathrow to Sydney or Melbourne, a £250 Love2Shop voucher or a £100 Love2Shop voucher. Bookings must be made and ticketed before February 2 2016.
The 2016 Irish Travel Trade News awards will be on Friday November 25.
Check out Falcon’s Dreamliner Dash, an interactive game to promote the 787 Dreamliner routes launching this summer. Play here.
Skal’s February function takes place in The Fitzwilliam Hotel, St Stephen’s Green on February 9, 12.30pm. Price for members €30, €35pp for their guests.
Founding member of SKAL in Kerry Conor Hennigan was honoured for his contribution to tourism at the annual SKAL dinner in the Muckross Park Hotel on Saturday.
Alex Incorvaja who formerly headed up the Maltese TB in London, has been appointed GM oft Le Méridien St Julian’s.
Jennifer Ward has been appointed Head of Marketing with the Irish Hotels Federation.
The Westin Dublin launched its Family Glamping in the City package for children, which includes a choice of Eason book, delivered to your room by the Children’s Book Butler. The package is charged at a €60 supplement on the deluxe bedroom rate. Price includes: 2-man pop-up tent, single airbeds, LED torch and book.
Dalata agreed leasehold interested for four four-star hotel — Gibson Hotel Dublin, the Croydon Park Hotel, England, the Clarion Hotel Cork and the Clarion Hotel Limerick — for €40m.
The fire that broke out at the Hotel Ritz Paris will delay its reopening until June.
Hilton Worldwide signed a management license agreement for Atlantica Hotels to develop and manage Hilton Garden Inn hotels in Brazil. Hilton announced its 13th brand, Tru by Hilton, which will be rolled out later this year. Hilton has 100 hotels signed to Tru, a mid-scale Millenial brand.
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide added its portfolio to TripAdvisor.
Canada’s new electronic Travel Authorisation comes into effect on March 15, 2016. The eTA costs $7 CAD and is valid for 5 years, it is similar to USA’s ESTA which costs USD14 and is valid for two years.
Las Vegas strip’s first park will open April 4.
US border control to use facial comparison technology at JFK Airport
JPMorgan Chase says it will start rolling out ATMs that can let you withdraw cash or do other transactions on a smartphone.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car launched an Exotic Car Collection at Heathrow Airport to give consumers access to Rolls-Royce, Maserati, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, Range Rover and Bentley vehicles. A second Exotic Car Collection branch in central London is also set to open in the coming months.
Research by Expedia showed the Irish population will lose 5m holiday days this year, with the average worker losing two and a half days each with employees are taking shorter trips. Thai employees have the lowest average holidays (10 days) while the US averages just 15.
VisitPortugal or the Portuguese Tourist Office is the correct designation for Portugal’s tourism representation.
Thailand reported a record 29.88m visitor arrivals in 2015.
Peter McMinn’s Travel Solutions winter season to Buglaria from Belfast for 2017-8, wil hold prices at 2016 levels and increase capacity by 50pc. Learn to Ski packages will start from £499 fully inclusive. The programme, formerly run by Radka Lynn, is the only ski operation to Bulgaria from Ireland.
An English tourist driving on the wrong side of the road in Spain crashed into German professional cycling team Giant-Alpecin, which was training near Alicante, and injured six cyclists.
Cabforce, the travel technology platform that is part of CarTrawler, was appointed preferred online taxi and private transfer provider to GobalStar Travel Management.
Pope Francis will visit Mexico City, February 12 to 18.
MGM Resorts International will debut its park, dining and entertainment district on the Las Vegas Strip on April 4.
The sky is the limit for this young pup who was pictured on a board Delta flight.
Qatar Museums unveiled a number of public art installations at Hamad International Airport.
Food and Wine
Knockranny House Hotel’s Wine Producers Weekend takes place February 26-27 with reps from vineyards in Rioja, the Loire Valley, the Languedoc, the Veneto, Austria, Slovenia and Sicily attending. Sommelier Nick Faujours and Sinead Cabot of Cabot & Co wine importers will open the weekend with a wine clinic. The following evening, punters will get the chance to meet the producers and taste their wines with a selection of cheeses and Knockranny breads and smoked salmon. They will also attend masterclasses on each of the regions. The event concludes with a dinner in La Fougère, where chef Seamus Commons will match dishes to a selection of wines. 1 night B&B package is available from €135pp incl. wine tasting, masterclasses and dinner, €199 for two nights, non-resident option for €69. See knockrannyhousehotel.ie.
Aer Lingus Dublin service to Washington Dulles is to be year round once it resumes in March after finishing earlier this month. The route will be served by a B757-2 for winter season 2016-17.
ASL applied for permission to serve CDG and Shannon to Providence Rhode Island between May and September 2016. ASL serve Dublin to Halifax in Nova Scotia.
Aer Lingus are to operate a single pilgrimage rotation from Boston to Ireland West Airport Knock on Thursday July 14. Picture shows Richard Gibbons, Rector of Knock Shrine with Joe Kennedy and Joe Gilmore of Ireland West Airport Knock.
French ATC workers called their 40th strike since 2009
Dublin-London air passengers were up 9pc to 4.5m in 2015 making it the second busiest international route in the world.
- Trade union Unite called for a public inquiry into the damage caused to cabin crew by ‘aerotoxic syndrome’.
- United Airlines is to operate the longest scheduled flight,between San Francisco and Singapore.
- A study by Airline Passenger Experience Association states what might be considered the obvious – that 70 percent of all passengers consider cabin comfort the most important contribution to the flying experience
- An aircraft from Bangkok to Amsterdam made an emergency landing in Warsaw Saturday night, after a passenger tried to open the door during the flight.
- Belfast City Airport passenger numbers for 2015 were up 5.4m to 2.7m
- It is reported in Tehran that several European airlines will resume their flights to Iran after nearly five years following a landmark nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers.
Turkish Airlines Chairman M.lker Ayci and Boeing Commercial Airplanes President CEO Ray Conner signed a long-term collaboration agreement in Istanbul.
Qatar Airways is increasing its flights to Zagred and Budapest to a 10-weekly service from April 3 and July 3, while flights to Baku increase to an 11-weekly service from March 27. Qatar will launch direct flights from Doha to Belgrade from March 16.
A Turkish Airlines flight from Houston to Istanbul made an emergency landing in Shannon following a bomb threat.
Turkish Airlines announced a partnership with Warner Bros Pictures to launch experiences inspired by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ahead of its release on March 25. A scene from the movie was filmed on board a Turkish Airlines B777.
SWISS unveiled its Dock E lounge at Zurich Airport, which coincides with the arrival of its first B777-300ER. SWISS also confirmed that it will offer in-flight WiFi and roaming mobile phone access on the jets.
Aircoach defended its handling of luggage after passengers complained on TripAdvisor that their bags were allegedly stolen while using the service. Aircoach responded by saying it was aware that some bags had been taken without permission and said a number of those incidents involved people mistakenly taking luggage that didn’t belong to them.
- United Airlines and American Airlines will join Delta and launch a no-frills far later this year.
- CityJet announced a weekly service from Bastia to Avignon and Beziers, commencing June 25 to September 3. .
- Ryanair sponsored the anna.aero London Marathon with a €5,000 donation for Anthony Nolan bone marrow transplants.
- Finnair announced additional flights to Lapland — Kittilä, Kuusamo and Ivalo — for winter 2016/2017.
- Kenya Airways will dry lease three Boeing B777-300ERs to Turkish Airlines.
NCL’s second-newest ship Norwegian Getaway will move from Miami to spend the summer in Germany in May 2017. Norwegian Jade will move to Southampton for summer 2017. The moves will boost Norwegian’s presence in Europe to five vessels which also includes Norwegian Epic, Norwegian Spirit and Norwegian Star.
Antonio Paradiso was appointed MD for MSC Cruises Ireland/Britain.
Celebrity Cruises ended mandatory prepaid gratuities on select dining.
- Tauck said it is to reconfigure the majority of its river cruise fleet.
- CLIA reacted to the cancellation of cruise port calls: In the event of any safety concerns, cruise ships have the flexibility to alter their itineraries as needed to avoid areas of higher risk. Our priority is to provide for the safety of passengers and crew at all times.
- Oasis Class ships announced added benefits to some cabins. Hurtigruten is to modify several of its vessels for shore power during the first half of 2016.
- Hurtigruten is to modify several of its vessels for shore power during the first half of 2016.
- Royal Caribbean Cruises signed a five-year partnership agreement with the World Wildlife Fund to reduce Royal Caribbean’s carbon footprint by 2020, increase awareness about ocean conservation and support the WWF’s global oceans conservation work.
- Silversea Cruises launched a collection of health and fitness-themed expedition cruises on board Silver Discoverer for 2016 and 2017.
- Royal Caribbean’s Harmony of the Seas will feature family-friendly offerings including the DreamWorks Experience, updated entertainment in the Adventure Ocean youth programme, and a collection of family features in balcony staterooms.
- Norwegian Cruise Line announced the Norwegian Edge quality standard, part of its two-year $400 million investment through 2017.
- AIDA cruises as recruiting 570 performers worldwide, holding auditions from London to Los Angeles.
Falcon offers: 7 nights all inclusive 4* Holiday Village, Sarigerme, Dalaman from €1,889 2+1, from €2,639 2+2, depart May 30. 7 nights all inclusive 4* Holiday Village, Costa Los Gigantes, Tenerife form €2,159 2+1, from €3,009 2+2, depart August 26. 7 nights all inclusive 4* Holiday Village, Marmari, Kos from €2,559 2+1, from €3,619 2+2, depart August 20. 14 nights all inclusive 3* Holiday Inn Resort, Montego Bay from €1,729pp, depart July 10. 7 nights all inclusive 3* Waikiki Hotel, Playa Del Ingles, Gran Canaria from €589pp, depart February 20. 7 nights self catering 3* Globales Tamaimo Tropical, Puerto De Santigo, Tenerife from €319pp, depart March 4. 7 nights all inclusive 3* Dunas Mirador, self catering from €369pp, depart March 12. Visit falconholidays.ie or call 1850 45 35 45.
Sunway Santa Ponsa offers, depart June 25-26 and July 2-3: 7 nights self catering 3* Bouganvilla Apartments from €599pp. 7 nights self catering 3* Verdemar Apartments from €599pp. 7 nights self catering 2* Surfing Playa Apartments from €699pp. 7 nights self catering 3* Deva Apartments from €699pp. 7 nights self catering 2* Sunbeach Apartments from €699pp.7 nights all inclusive 3* Santa Ponsa Playa Hotel from €899pp. Flight only from €399pp. Algarve offers, depart May 7 and 14 ex Dublin and Cork: Flight only from €299pp. 7 nights self catering 2* Acqua Maris Balaia Apartments from €389pp. 7 nights self catering 2* Bayside Salgados Apartments from €399pp. 7 nights self catering 3* Colina Village Apartments from €429pp. 7 nights self catering 4* Paraiso Apartments from €459pp. 7 nights B&B 3* Carvi Beach Hotel from €499pp. 7 nights B&B 4* Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa from €559pp. 7 nights B&B 4* Algarve Casino Hotel from €579pp. Orlando and Florida offers: 7 nights 3* International Palms Resort from €519pp incl. flights, travel May. 7 nights 3* Rosen Inn International, Orlando from €589pp incl. flights, travel March. 7 nights 3* Universal Cabana Bay Resort from €615pp, depart May. 7 nights 4* Sonesta ES Suites, Orlando from €655pp incl. flights, depart May. 7 nights 3* Disney’s Art of Music, Orlando from €669pp incl. flights, depart May. 10 nights Caribbean cruise and Orlando from €1,479pp incl. 3 nights 3* Orlando International Drive, 7 nights on board Oasis of the Seas, flights and selective drinks package, depart December. Visit sunway.ie or call 01 231 1800.
Sunway is offering a 7-day 4* Trafalgar escorted tour of Canada’s Rockies from €2,449pp incl. return flights ex Dublin, tax, 6 breakfasts and three dinners, travel by luxury coach, VIP entry to sights and audio headsets. Sightseeing itinerary includes visits to Calgary, Lake Louise, Jasper, and Banff. Visit sunway.ie or call 01 231 1800.
Thomson offers: 7 nights all inclusive Taurito Princess, Maspolomas, Gran Canaria from €709pps, depart February 27. 7 nights self catering Caybeach Princess Bungalow, Maspalomas, Gran Canaria from €409pps, depart March 5. 7 nights half board Catalonia Oro Negro, Playa De Las Americas, Tenerife from €469pps, depart March 11. 14 nights all inclusive Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort and Sap, Lucea from €1,799pps, depart June 19. 7 nights all inclusive 4* Suntopia Tropical, Sarigerme, Turkey from €1,899 2+1, from €2,569 2+2, depart June 6. 7 nights all inclusive 4* Atlantica Marmari Beach, Kos from €2,179 2+1, from €3,299 2+2, depart June 18. Visit thomsonholidays.ie or call 1850 45 35 45.
Thomson cruise offers: 7 nights full board Mediterranean Medley cruise on Thomson Majesty from €899pps incl. flights, depart May 17. 7 nights full board Hellenic Classics cruise on board Thomson Dream from €1,069pps incl. flights, depart June 3. All inclusive upgrade available from €10pppn.
Tour America offers: 14 nights Orlando and Cancun from €1,439pp incl. 7 nights at the Rosen Inn International Hotel, 7 nights all inclusive at the Riu Cancun, outbound flight to Orlando, inbound flight from Cancun, depart June 9. 7 nights all inclusive honeymoon at the Dreams Puerto Aventuras, Mexico from €1,189pp incl. return flights, depart September 22. 3 nights Row NYC Hotel, New York from €739pp, depart September 29. 4 nights Excalibur Hotel, Las Vegas from €629pp, depart September 15. Visit touramerica.ie.
Topflight Algarve offers: 7 nights self-catering 5* Victoria Residences, Vilamoura from €599pps, depart May 21. 7 nights B&B 5* Hotel Quinta do Lago from €1,260pps, depart May 21. 7 nights B&B 4* Vila Gale Marina, Vilamoura from €679pps, depart May 28. 7 nights self catering 4* Vila Petra, Albufeira from €569pps, depart June 4. 7 nights B&B 5* Tivoli Marina, Vilamoura from €949pps, depart June 11. All prices include return flights, return transfers, taxes and Topflight rep service. Visit topflight.ie or call 01 2401 700.
Click and Go offers: 3 nights 4* AC Hotel Firenze by Marriott, Florence from €339pp incl. return flights ex Dublin, airport taxes and charges, travel in April. 7 nights B&B 4& Meridien Hotel, Sunny Beach, Bulgaria from €369pp incl. return flights, airport transfers, airport taxes and charges, travel in May. 7 nights B&B 5* Corfu Holiday Palace Hotel, Kanoni, Corfu from €419pp incl. return flights, airport transfers, airport taxes and charges, travel in May. 7 nights B&B 4* Amarin Resort Aparthotel, Croatia from €439pp incl. return flights, airport transfers, airport taxes and charges, travel in May. Visit clickandgo.com or call 01 539 7777.
Riviera Travel is offering a 3-night escorted city break to Pars from €399pp incl. return flights, return transfers, 3 nights’ B&B accommodation in a 3* hotel, sightseeing tour of Paris, Paris By Night tour, visit to Versailles and visit to Montmartre, depart March 25. Visit rivieratravel.ie.
Insight Vacations is offering an 8-day Glories of Greece tour from €2,186pp incl. flights, transfers and 7 nights accommodation, book by February 29, depart July 1. Visit insightvacations.com or call 01 775 3803.
Uniworld Boutique River Cruises is offering an 8-day tour of derdeaux on the River Royale from €2,246pps incl. flights, transfers, all meals and beverages and all shore excursions, book by February 29, depart March 27. Visit uniworld.ie or call 01 775 3803.
Contiki is offering a 9-day tour of Scandinavia from €1,515pp incl. flights, transfers and 8 nights accommodation, book by February 29, depart June 4. Visit contiki.com or call 01 775 3803.
Royal Caribbean offers: 7 nights Western Med cruise on Harmony of the Seas from €1,699pp incl. return flights, depart June 12. 10 nights Western Med cruise on Jewel of the Seas from €1,319pp incl. return flights, depart May 13. 7 nights Arabian Gulf cruise on Splendour of the Seas from €1,295pp incl. return flights, depart March 21. Visit royalcaribbean.ie or call 1800 555 604.
ITAA Valentine’s Day offers: 3 nights in 4* accommodation, Lisbon from €226pps incl. return flights, depart February 12. 2 nights B&B 4* Union Praha hotel, Prague from €279pps incl. flights, depart February 12. 2 nights 3* Grand Hotel du Havre, Paris from €399pp incl. return flights ex Cork, depart February 12.
Lowcostbeds offers, 7 nights based on 2 adults, depart June 25: 3* Hotel de Rey, Benahmadena, Costa del Sol from €21pppn self catering. 3* Port Fiesta Park Hotel, Costa Blanca from €35pppn B&B. 3* Ionian Sea View, Kavos, Corfu from €11pppn self catering. 3* Villa Angira, Fira, Santorini from €26pppn B&B.
An anthology celebrating 35 years of Salmon Poetry will be launched at Doolin Writers’ Weekend March 4-6 2016. Participants will include Joseph O’Connor, Danielle McLaughlin, Elaine Feeney, Billy Ramsel, June Caldwell, EM Reapy and Neil McCarthy, as well as workshops hosted by Dermot Bolger, Lia Mills, Stephen Murray and ER Murray.
The Irish Tourist Industry Confederation and IBEC launched its tourism manifesto entitled Tourism Opportunity – A manifesto for growing tourism and jobs.
Ireland was one of nine destinations listed in the best travel destination category during 2015 by Travel & Leisure magazine at an awards ceremony in China.
The Gathering Traditional Festival returns to Killarney for its seventeenth year from February 17 to 21.
Picture shows Irish tourim interests at the Caravan, Motor Tourism Fair in Stuttgart: Sabine Rosenhammer, Skellig Reisen; Julie O’Connell, Tourism Ireland; Ralf-Michael Hubert, Irish Ferries; Stefan Kupner, Shannon-Travel Bootsreisen; Paula Irwin, Manor House Marine (and representing Fermanagh Lakeland Tourism); Ann Campbell, B&B Ireland; Elke Barnick, Skellig Reisen; Nadja König, Shamrock Irland Reisen; Martina Burba, Irish Caravan & Camping Council; Astrid Kliem, Highländer Reisen; Judith Koritke, Thoba Reisen; Michelle Tighe, Irish Greyhound Board; Sonja Fischer, Tourism Ireland, on the Ireland stand at CMT in Stuttgart.
Twenty five tourism businesses participated in Tourism Ireland’s first promotion of 2016, a B2B workshop and networking event in Glasgow. Stormont Tourism Minister Jonathan Bell showcased NI’s Year of Food and Drink at an event in New York organised by Tourism Ireland. Pictures shows Laureen McDonagh, Invest Northern Ireland; Michael McKillop, Glens of Antrim Potatoes; Stephen Brown, ScotlandMid; Paul Hargreaves, Cotswold Fayre; James Laws, Food & Drink Hub (Scotland) Ltd; Caroline Mulligan, Tourism Ireland; and (front l-r) Emily Dodd, Tourism Ireland; Melanie Harvey, Sunday Mail; Michelle Charrington, Invest Northern Ireland; and Paula Murray, Scottish Sunday Express
Picture shows Sheila Geary of Visit Belfast; Danielle Neyts of Tourism Ireland; Azeta Seery of Dublin Convention Burea and Jenny Finegan of Fáilte Ireland, at the Meeting Matters networking event in Brussels.
Minister Paschal Donohoe and Minister of State Michael Ring launched a Tourism Action Plan for 2016 to 2018. Key issues raised in the plan include: restoring overseas tourism marketing funds to pre-recession levels; more funding to encourage direct air and sea access; a list of themes for other marketing initiatives; an analysis by Fáilte Ireland on hotel capacity problems in Dublin; and support for the IRFU’s bid to host the Rugby World Cup in 2023.
CSO Jan-Dec 2015 figures showed overseas trips to Ireland were up 14pc Britain was up 12pc, North America 14pc, France 11pc, Germany 13pc, Italy 25pc, Spain 18pc, Australian/New Zealand 9pc and other areas 14pc.
Fáilte Ireland honoured 79 conference ambassadors at the Conference Ambassador Recognition Awards at the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham, hosted by comedian Dara Ó Briain. The recipients were given the wards for bugging and hosting international conferences and events in Dublin. Brian Stapleton, MD of Periploi Aviation, was named Conference Ambassador of the Year, while Matthew Ryan, director of the Grand Hotel in Malahide and Marine Hotel in Sutton was honoured for his Outstanding Contribution to Business Tourism Industry, and Dr Pearse Lyons, founder and president of Alltech, was honoured for his Outstanding Contribution to Business Tourism during the Gathering.
Belfast Waterfront hosted 140 conference organisers, event planners and meeting professionals to preview the facility which reopens in May following a £29.5m refurbishment.
A letter signed by Rory McIlroy was sent to every golf club in Ireland, requesting their support for this year’s Dubai Duty Free Irish Open, which takes place at The K Club from May 19 to 22. The letter including a five-point plan on how they could show their support, including the Irish Open Club Challenge, a golf tournament which gives one club team an opportunity to play alongside a top professional in the Dubai Duty Free Irish Open Pro–Am. The plan also includes a skills challenge for junior club members, special coach offers for clubs travelling to the tournament, and signed memorabilia. Pictured at the press conference: K Club CEO Michael Davern, Rory Foundation CEO Barry Funston, Antonia Beggs of European Tour, President of Dubai Duty Free George Horan and Chairman of the Confederation of Golf in Ireland Redmond O’Donoghue.
Lord Mayor of Dublin Críona Ní Dhálaigh launched the Venture World Cup Ireland 2016 powerboat racing festival, which begins in Cork on June 10 and finishes in Dublin. Twenty-five teams will compete over the seven-day event. Picture shows..
Fáilte Ireland’s Dublin – A Breath of Fresh Air was one of Creative Blog’s top four rebranding trends for 2015.
Growing Tourism in Cork was launched by the Cork Tourism Strategy Taskforce at Cork Airport this week. The strategy outlines a five-year plan to increase domestic and international visitors to 2.8m. Picture shows includes Fáilte Ireland’s CEO Shaun Quinn and Fiona Buckley.
See travelextra.tv for more video.
Upcoming events of interest to the trade
- Jan 29-31 SATTE New Delhi
- Feb 4-7 Destinations, Olympia, London
- Feb 4-7 Scottish Holiday Home Show Glasgow
- Feb 9-10 Mediterranean Tourism Market, Tel Aviv
- Feb 9-11 IBTM, Abu Dhabi
- Feb 11 Nordic Trade Workshop, Copenhagen
- Feb 11-13 BIT Milan
- Feb 20-March 1 IHF Conference, Killarney
- Feb 20-21 Fly Shannon Holiday Show, University of Limerick Arena
- Feb 22-25
Go West Summit, Anchorage
- Feb 24-27 Guangzhou International Travel Fair
- Feb 29-Mar 1 IHF Conference, Gleneagle Hotel, Killarney
- March 2-6 BTL, LIsbon
- March 3-6 Utazas, Budapest
- March 3-9 Travel South, Winston-Salem
- March 9-13 ITB, Berlin
- March 14-17 Seatade Global, Fort Lauderdale
- March 16-17 Britain and Ireland Travel Show, Birmingham
- March 17-20 Tur, Gothenburg
- March 23-27 MITT, Moscow
- March 26-27 Skål National Convention Ireland, Killarney
- April 2-9 Mountain Travel Symposium, Keystone Heights
- April 4-9 Meetings & Incentive Forum, Dubai
- April 5-7 Rendez Vous France, Montpelier
- April 5-7 WTTC Global Summit, Dallas
- April 6-8 WTM Africa, Cape Town
- April 6-8 World Tourism Forum summit, Istanbul
- April 7 Irish Travel Industry Trade Show, Ballsbridge Hotel (formerly Jury’s Hotel)
- April 7 ITAA AGM
- April 11-12 Meitheal, RDS, Dublin
- April 12-14 COTTM, Beijing
- April 17-19 Germany Travel Market, Magdeburg
- April 17-21 Virtuoso, Cape Town
- April 19-20 Eyefortravel Travel Distribution Summit, London
- April 19-21 IMEX, Frankfurt
- April 23 Irish Tourism Industry Awards
- Apr 23-26 Routes Europe Krakow
- April 24-27 Rendez-vous Canada,
- Apr 25-28 Tianguis Turistico, Guadlajara
- April 25-28 ATM, Dubai
- May 2-5 We Are Africa, Cape Town
- May 7-9 Indaba, Durban
- May 10-13 Trenz New Zealand
- May 10-13 World Travel Fair Shanghai
- May 11-15 Fitcuba, Havana
- May 19-20 CLIA, Southampton
- May 15-19 ATE, Gold Coast
- May 19-22 Irish Open, Straffan
- May 22-26 Meetings & Incentive Forum, Scottsdale
- June 1-3 IATA world congress, Dublin
- June 1-4 ILA Berlin Air show
- June 8-10 TTM Plus, Bangkok
- June 9 Thomson Discovery launch
- June 18-22 IPW (Pow Wow), New Orleans
- June 28-July 2 Meetings & Incentive Forum, Madrid
- July 11-17 Farnborough Air show
- July 17 Foynes Air Show
- Sept 3-4 Air Waves, Portrush
- Sept 6-8 Seatrade Europe, Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Sept 14-16 Travelmart Latin America, Iguassu Falls, Brazil
- Sept 7-9, PATA Travel Mart, Jakarta
- Sept 29-Oct 2 Top Resa, Paris
- Sept 10-13 FITA, Santa Cruz
- Sept 19-22, Adventure Travel World Summit, Anchorage
- Sept 25-27 World Routes, Chengdu
- Sept 26-30 Meetings & Incentive Forum, Madrid
- Oct 15 NI Travel Trade Awards, Newcastle, Co Down
- Oct 29-Nov 1 Skål World Congress, Monaco,
- Nov 7-9, WTM London
- Nov 10 Scottish Travel Trade Awards,
- Nov 19-21 CLIA rivercruise conference, Amsterdam
- Nov 25 ITTN Awards
- Nov 29-Dec 1 IBTM World, Barcelona
- Jan 20-22 2017 Holiday World. Titanic Exhibition Centre, Belfast
- Jan 27-29 2017 Holiday World, RDS Simmonscourt, Dublin
- June 3-7 2017 IPW (Pow Wow), Washington DC
- Jan 19-21 2018 Holiday World. Titanic Exhibition Centre, Belfast
- Jan 26-28 2018 Holiday World, RDS Simmonscourt, Dublin
- May 19-23 2018 IPW (Pow Wow), Denver
2019 – 2024
- Jan 18-20 2019 Holiday World. Titanic Exhibition Centre, Belfast
- Jan 25-27 2019 Holiday World, RDS Simmonscourt, Dublin
- June 1-5 2019 IPW (Pow Wow), Anaheim
- May 30 –June 3 2020 IPW (Pow Wow), Las Vegas
- April 24-28 2021 IPW (Pow Wow), Chicago
- June 4-8 2022 IPW (Pow Wow), Orlando
- May 20-23, 2023 IPW (Pow Wow), San Antonio
- May 4-8, 2024 IPW (Pow Wow), Los Angeles
Previous editions of Travel Extra’s Sunday Supplement:
November 2015: Winter cruise issue
October 2015: Ski issue
September 2015: Accommodation issue
July/August 2015: Wintersun issue
June 2015: USA issue
May 2015: The Australia issue
April 2015: Summer Cruise issue
March 2015: Industry Awards issue
February 2015: Holiday World issue