6 things you need to know about travel this week
- Cork’s Boston route is burgled
- Has Royal brought cabin-room to a new level?
- Contiki’s Chinese new year themed launch
- Harmony strikes a sweet note with cruise writers
- Sailing Ovation: Extra mini cruise as ship arrives early
- Ray Byrne’s new hotel project in France: Yes he Cannes
Travel Extra TV
Our video of the week captures the moment this pilot skilfully landed an aircraft in crazy crosswinds. Watch here.
- Ever seen the inside of an avalanche? This footage captures the moment two off-piste skiers had a close call. Watch here.
- Introducing the world’s most relaxed lizards, captured in Hollywood. Watch here.
- See Fáilte Ireland’s video from Food on the Edge showcase, featuring food producers on the Wild Atlantic Way. Watch here.
- In anticipation of St Patrick’s Day, Tourism Ireland uploaded a video on how to make Irish soda bread. Watch here.
- A Ryanair passenger serenade his recently-engaged friends on board a flight from Dublin to Rome. Watch here.
- Watch this surfer catch seven barrels in one wave. Watch here.
- This dad teaches his three-year-old daughter to ski. Watch here.
Behind the Headlines
The cancellation of Cork’s first trans-Atlantic service before it had even flown on Thursday has ramifications far beyond Farmer’s Cross. Norwegian’s application to fly trans-Atlantic out of Ireland has been blocked for two years by American unions, airlines and political lobbies. In the end the final obstacle appeared to have been political rather than legal. Bjorn Kos said on Thursday that Paris to New York will go ahead on July 29 but, as widely anticipated, Cork’s routes to Boston (and consequently to Barcelona) have been put on hold. A disaster for the open skies agreement. Listen here to Eoghan Corry speaking about the cancellation of the route on the Neil Prendiville show.
Royal Caribbean invited cruise writers, including Travel Extra, to see Harmony of the Seas as it nears completion in the SFX France shipyard ahead of its sea trails in April and launch in May. The most astonishing thing about the ship is not its three waterslides (including the scary-sounding Ultimate Abyss, not yet fitted, but Travel Extra had a peek over the edge and was very, very afraid), nor the rotation of bars to include the more successful offerings of the Quantum class, Jamie’s, Wonderland and the famous robot-server bionic bar, but the staterooms. They make better use of room than anything Travel Extra has seen in the 70-plus cruise ships we have visited. They are slightly longer than their predecessors on Oasis and Allure of the Seas (the ship is 30cm longer and three metres wider than its sisters), but that does not explain how well they have managed to make a confined space look much larger. Inside cabins come with the real-time screen that gives the impression of a balcony, also familiar from Quantum class. Picture shows a rendering of Ultimate Abyss and Raimund Gschaider head of operations, with Harmony of the Seas in the background. Listen here to Jean Yves Pean speaking on behalf of STX France. Listen here to Michael Bayley’s address to travel media. Listen here to the quest and answer session at the press conference. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
The Fly Shannon Holiday Show (admission is free, see website) continues today (Sunday Feb 21) in the UL Arena in the University of Limerick from 12 noon to 5.30pm. Organisers report an extremely positive response from travel agents and tour operators after after the show closed yesterday evening. Fly Shannon announced its dats for 2017: February 19/20.. Organisers expecting crowds of 10,000 to attend the two-day event. Pictures shows Paulette Moran of event organisers Business Exhibitions, Isabel Harrison of Shannon Airport, Maureen Ledwith of Business Exhibitions and Declan Power of Shannon Airport at the event yesterday. Exhibitors include: Aer Lingus, Air Canada/Air Canada Rouge, American Airlines, ASL Airlines France, Delta Air Lines, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Ryanair, Turkish Airlines and United Airlines. Tour Operators/Travel Agents include – American Holidays, Attraction Tickets Direct, Falcon/Thompson Holidays, Justsplit.com, Limerick Travel, Sunway Travel, Tour America, Travel Choice, Travelfox.ie, Tropical Sky and Unique Japan Tours. Travel Corporation. Las Vegas, Spanish Tourism Board, VISIT USA, Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean, MSC and Stena Line will also be there. Clare will be very well represented with a cluster of stands including Aillwee Cave, Cliffs of Moher, The Doolin Ferry company, Shannon Ferries and Bunratty Castle.
Even the name. Mimozas (website), sounds like a cocktail, and that was what arrived there this weekend, a cocktail of 20 travel media, eight from Ireland, five from Italy, four from France and two from England. They were hosted by Ray Byrne of Wine Port and the Ice House in Ballina, who took over the resort in November, along with Julien La Rizza, Pricilla Dardour and Tracey Coughlan, who comes from Ferbane. “About 120 of the 280 apartments here are owned by Irish. The Ice House in Ballina with 32 rooms was working well with us and I thought if I can do this in Ballina why not try it in Cannes? I had been involved in a hotel for four years and was attracted to the idea of doing something in the sun and this place needed someone to take it on and show it a bit of love We are seven kilometres from Cannes on the coastline and interestingly, there are no hotels between us and the city. So it offers a nice accessible alternative to people. It is working well so far. We kept the hotel open through the winter and it has a surprising amount of business.” Paddy Duffy, from Rathfarnham, whose Irish pub fitting business recently referred a resort in Kurdistan (yes, us too), has transformed the bar area. A major landscaping operation at the resort was undertaken by Kenmare-based Dermot Kerins and Ray is looking forward to a busy summer when the season kicks in in March. And yes the parting glass was sung. Pictures show Eoghan Corry and Clare Byrne of Travel Broker at the resort. and Treacy Coughlan and Ray Byrne at the lake around which the resort is constructed. Director of Sales & Marketing and Ray Hingston Director of Splash. Listen here to Ray Byrne speaking at the press conference. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
If you were confused by Asian conical hats around Dublin’s Wexford Street on Thursday, it was just Contiki’s Chinese new year themed launch of their 2016-7 programme at Philip Hughes’ venue Opium on Dublin’s Wexford Street. The new brochure offers 70 trips across the USA and Canada, Latin America, Europe, Asia, Australia & New Zealand, in Contiki’s eight travel styles on trips from four to 45 days long, including Discovery Plus trips for travellers who want to see and do it all. Picture shows Egle Godliauskaite, Donna Jeavons, Sharon Jordan, Laura Brown and Lainey Quinn at the launch. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
Sad news: Gerry Armstrong died on Sunday, ex-RTE, Eurotravel, Carousel, Travelplaces, Keith Prowse, and First Travel management. He was a founding member of Allstar and Global Star worldwide and was instrumental in bringing Worldchoice to Ireland. Over three decades he was an intermittent board member of the ITAA. Picture is of Gerry from the 2005 ITAA conference.
- Sad news: Niall Phelan ex Abbey Travel has died. Kathleen Davison for many years scion of Greer’s Travel Ballymena has died.
- Agents have until Feb 29 to enter DSD incentives or a twin-centre FAM with a difference to New York and Mexico and the Worldwide Book & Bank incentive.
- Amadeus launched a virtual wallet to target market for €332 billion of B2B travel agency payments.
- The Travel Corporation wished its agents a Happy Valentine’s Day with cupcakes and chocolates courtesy of Insight Vacations. Picture shows Anne Marie and Yvonne from Best4travel who received a surprise visit from Egle Godliauskaite. See more pictures here.
- British Airways and Iberia have signed up for Travelport Rich Content and Branding, bringing to 140 the number of airlines that have signed up for the product, launched in Dublin two years ago.
- SuperBreak launched short break packages to the Belfast Tattoo in September
- Topflight have launched a range of Stay and Explore Holidays in Italy, Austria and Madeira from April to October.
- Brittany Ferries expanded its golf programme with a three venue tournament in Dinard, Val André and St Cast on June 5-7.
- Silversea is giving agents in Ireland the opportunity to earn €40 Love2Reward vouchers by making a confirmed booking on any 2016 voyage.
- 90pc of travel agents saw an increase in business, according to ITAA’s latest quarterly survey results. 80pc said the level of Q4 2015 “increased significantly” inc comparison to the same period in 2014. More than 50pc of agents surveyed said their offline business had increased in 2015.
- Skal’s AGM will be held at 12.30pm, March 8, at Radisson Blu, St Helens Hotel. Travel Extra editor Eoghan Corry will speak at the event. Costs €30 for members and €35pp for their guests. Stena Line is offering Skal members a 10 discount on sailings from Dublin to Holyhead, Rosslare to Cherbourg, and Rosslare to Fishguard. Each members nine digit membership number should be entered to gain access to the discount page, stenaline.ie/skaldublin
- Travelport signed a global deal with ground transportation distribution platform Mobacar. British Airways and Iberia signed up for Travelport Rich Content and Branding.
- RSA insurance Knocknacarra operations centre recruited 50 new roles last month bringing to 150 the number employed by the group in Galway.
- Travelport and Mobacar announced a global agreement
- Carolanne O’Neill started in her new role at Worldchoice Ireland.
- Declan Hughes of Flycruisestay will speak at the Digital Travel Summit which takes place in London this June.
Dunbrody Country House in Wexford won the Country House Hotel in the Luxury Travel Guide awards.
Trivago’s ranking of 100 global destinations according to the reputation of their hotels placed Göreme in Turkey in first place, with Killarney 8th worldwide and Galway 57th. Dublin failed to make the top 100.
- Derry’s new Bishop’s Gate Hotel opened for business.
- Five hotels were added to small luxury hotels of the world Sesa Boutique Hotel, Preveza, Greece (website), Galle Fort Hotel, Galle, Sri Lanka (website), Domaine de Fontenille, Provence, France (website), Mom Tri’s Villa Royale, Phuket, Thailand (website), Ayard of Ch’an, Leshan, China (website),
- Expedia quietly rolled out Accelerator, its hotel search bidding tool, in select markets.
- Dalata plans to build a four-star, 181 room hotel along Dublin’s Grand Canal.
- Melia Hotels International is open its first property in New York City next month.
The US government announced Thursday it is using eye scans and facial recognition technology for the first time to verify the identities of foreigners leaving the United States.
- Discover America elected a new Board which included Patrice Bell, Brand USA; Annika Klint, Kai and Associates; Chris Robinson, Chris Robinson Travel Show; Susan Webb, VoX International and outgoing president Sana Keller, Pulse Communications.
- Egypt’s Minister for Tourism, Hisham Zaazou announced a sudden conference in Cairo for his country’s stricken tourist industry: Tourism in Egypt 2016 – Planning for Growth.
- London-based Turkey specialist operator Mapmart collapsed.
- Jacinta Nzioka-Mbithi has been appointed acting CEO of the Kenya Tourism Board
- SeaWorld California released details of their new Ocean Explorer attraction to open in 2017
- Scottish National Gallery and the Scottish National Portrait Gallery visitors are up 6pc in 2015 to 1,377,710 and 312,877 and the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art up 41pc to 455,655 at its two sites, Modern One and Modern Two, on Belford Road in Edinburgh’s West end.
Food and Wine
Dine in Dublin takes place this week, Monday 22 – Sunday February 28 with 18 participating restaurants.
Students Louise McGrath from John the Baptist Community School, Co Limerick (pictured) and Mamuela Oclon from St Mary’s Secondary School, Baldoyle (junior winner) and won the Restaurants Association of Ireland Super Chef, Schools Cookery Competition.
- The Restaurants Association of Ireland asked the new Irish government resulting from next Friday’s General Election not to introduce Calories on Menus for stand alone restaurants.
- New York City’s iconic Carnegie deli officially reopened.
Aer Lingus Regional will take over the Dublin-Liverpool route from Monday May 2 with frequency increased to 4 departures a day (3 on a Saturday).
Aer Lingus will operate an A330-300 on Dublin-Orlando, providing an additional 3,000 seats from May to August.
Swissport is recruiting 200 customer service agents, ramp handling agents, flight operations, security and aircraft appearance personnel at Dublin airport, in addition to the recruitment of 1000 personnel in Belfast. Swissport says its ground handling business at Dublin Airport has seen growth of 23% in 2015 and expects growth of 10pc in 2016.
Ryanair reported 89pc of 45,000 flights in January arriving on-time in a month of despite French ATC delays and weather diversions. Ryanair is open a base at Bucharest with 3 aircraft and new daily routes to Athens and double daily to Timisoara in competition with Wizz.
- The operational name of Pakistan International Airlines has been changed to Pakistan Airways in an apparent bid to take PIA out from the list of national assets.
- Emirates suffered a bird strike whle landing in Dblin on Wednesday.
- Rolling Luggage opened their store selling fashion and accessories at The Loop in T1.
- Investigators hunting for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 are reportedly ready to officially blame a rogue pilot (though not necessarily the captain) for the disaster if the plane is not found in the current search zone.
- Air Canada expects about 90pc of capacity growth to come from international markets this year, about a third from new routes.
- American Airlines filed a lawsuit to end its contract with its in-flight Internet provider Gogo because of Wi-Fi speeds on its planes.
- Gold Coast Airport’s Dublin born chief operating officer, Marion Charlton reports that Gold Coast Airport in Queensland, Australia, recorded its largest ever monthly passenger count at 600,000, triggering an airport upgrade that will effectively double the size of the terminal, adding new wide-bodied aircraft stands and four new aerobridges. Gold Coast Airport currently services around 6m passengers per year, forecast to grow to 16.3m passengers in 2031.
- American is to introduce pre-flight meals with full tableside service in its First Class Flagship Lounges beginning in JFK, Dallas Fort Worth, LAX and Miami.
- Fraport and Lufthansa Group won the Air Transport World “Eco-company Partnership of the Year” award.
- Etihad announced a 63 pc increase in full-year passenger traffic with partner Jet Airways to and from India.
- Aer Rianta International won the 10-year contract to operate duty free at Muscat International Airport, Oman.
- Ireland West Airport Knock selected Cancer Care West, MS Ireland and Pieta House as their charities for the Ireland West Airport Charity of the Year programme.
- A New York-bound Virgin Atlantic flight had to return to London after the pilot was affected by a laser pointed at the cockpit.
- British Airways launched a new iPad app, with extra features including a 3D globe for flight searchers and the ability to plan your in-flight entertainment.
With Ovation of the Seas expected to be delivered ahead of schedule Royal Caribbean added a three night Netherlands mini-cruise out of Southampton on April 14 priced from €329pp. Ovation floated out of the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg on Thursday.
Uniworld are to launch the 128-passenger SS Joie de Vivre on the Seine in March 2017.
- Le Boat offered a new river cruiser suitable for couples
- The controversial new cruise ship pier and terminal for the Cayman Islands is to go ahead.
- Princess Cruises debuted its Cook My Catch culinary experience which allows guests to cook their catch of the day.
- Norwegian Cruise Line announced changes to the entertainment onboard Norwegian Escape and Norwegian Getaway. ‘For the Record: The Brat Pack’ show will be in the Escape Theatre from April 16, while the Escape cinema will be showing Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, Weird Science, Pretty in Pink and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Million Dollar Quartet will move from Escape and reopen on Getaway on May 15.
Tourism Ireland appointed Siobhan McManamy Acting Director of Markets to cover temporary leave of absence being taken by Simon Gregory.
- Railtours Ireland launched a Star Wars Skellig Islands and Ring of Kerry tour. Tourism Ireland’s Star Wars film was listed in the top 10 YouTube ads.
- Picture shows French conference planners in Powerscourt. They were hosted by Tourism Ireland on an itinerary designed by Irish Welcome Tours/Irish Horizons including Number 10 on Ormond Quay, Guinness Storehouse, Powerscourt and Palmerstown House.
- Bunratty Castle and Folk Park is set for a €1m upgrade, with an extended retail store to accommodate the growing visitor numbers, a new café, extended entrance and refurbished admissions building.
- Further to our preview report, Aidan McGuinness is project manager of the €10m GPO Witness History centre, set to open on March 27.
- Fáilte Ireland honoured 79 ‘Conference Ambassadors’ at its inaugural Conference Ambassador Recognition Awards ceremony at the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham.
- The Doolin Ferry Co has launched Irish language school tours, “ag ceiliúradh Seachtain na Gaeilge leis an turas báid speisialta seo as Gaeilge. Tá súil againn go mbainfidh daltaí taitneamh agus tairbhe as a bheith ag foghlaim trí Ghaeilge agus iad amuigh faoin aer“. The tour will be at 12 noon for 1 hour and available during the school term up until summer. doolinferry.com and cliffsofmohercruises.ie. Picture shows Brigitte Brew and Liam O’Brien of the Doolin Ferry Company.
- ITIC said volume growth of 5pc is “achievable in light of the favourable conditions in the main source markets.” Newly elected Chairman of the Incoming Tour Operators Association Ireland, Derry Cronin of Select Hotels of Ireland, was featured by ITIC.
- For the first time ever golf clubs have the chance to play at the Irish Open Pro-Am at The K Club on Wednesday May 18.
- TripAdvisor listed the top ten beaches in Ireland based on customer ratings: 1 Inchydoney, Co Cork. 2 Derrynane, Co Kerry. 3 Inch Beach, Co Kerry. 4 Lahinch, Co Clare. 5 Rossbeigh, Co Kerry. 6 Banna, Co Kerry. 7 Maghera, Co Donegal. 8 Curracloe, Co Wexford. 9 Renvyle, Co Galway. 10 Portmarnock, Co Dublin.
- Killarney Convention Centre was awarded the European Foundation for Quality Management 5 Star Award. Picture shows Managing Director of The Gleneagle Group, Cara Fuller, Corporate Sales Manager for Killarney Convention Centre, Breffni Ingerton, General Manager of Killarney Convention Centre, Clio O’Gara, Chief Marketing Officer for The Gleneagle Group and Joe Flynn, Friends First.
- Footage was filmed at locations in Dublin, Kilkenny, Waterford, Kerry, Clare and Meath, which will air on NBC television in New York during its live coverage of the St Patrick’s Day parade in New York.
- Clare won the men’s and women’s events in the national life saving championship from a record entry of 310 competitors from 12 counties around Ireland in addition to several other competition records.
- Minister Paschal Donohoe launched the St Patrick’s Festival 2016, March 17 to 20.
- Mansion House and City Hall in Dublin were illuminated red this week to mark the 2016 Chinese New Year and the Year of the Monkey. Picture shows Tourism Ireland CEO Niall Gibbons with Críona Ní Dhálaigh and Pan Xiongwen of the Chinese Embassy to Ireland.
- Francis and John Brennan launched a bespoke tour of Kerry, which covers ring routes on the Beara and Iveagh peninsulas over three days in April. Prices from €495pps, the package starts with dinner at the Park Hotel Kenmare on April 4.
Ryanair announced 12 more Euro 2016 specials from Dublin and Shannon for Ireland’s group games citing “huge demand” from fans, brining their total to 45. Sunway are offering day return flights to Ireland’s three Euro 2016 finals matches from €459pp, deposit €150pp, balance eight weeks before departure.
Sunway offers: 4 nights 3* Circus Circus Hotel, Las Vegas from €979pp incl. flights and concert ticket to see Garth Brooks, depart June 22. 7 nights B&B 4* ATA Capotaormina Hotel, Sicily from €999pp, depart May. 7 nights B&B 5* Gran Atlantis Bahia Real Hotel, Fuerteventura from €1,279pp, depart April 9 or 16. Visit sunway.ie or call 01 231 1800.
Lowcostbeds offers, based on 2 adults sharing, 7 nights, depart May 12: 3* Algarve Gardens, Albuferia from €9pppn self catering. 4* Hotel Vau, Albuferia from €19pppn B&B. 3* Luna Clube Brisamar, Alvor, Algarve from €10pppn. 3* Hotel Kristal, Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol from €14pppn B&B. 4* Hotel Royal Al Andalus from €25pppn B&B. 4* Hotel Sol Principe, Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol from €36pppn. Visit lowcostbeds.com.
Thomson offers: 7 nights full board Aegean Shores including Santorini cruise from €999pps incl. flights ex Dublin, depart July 15. 7 nights full board 4* Treasures of the Mediterranean cruise on Thomson Majesty from €1,149pps, depart May 24. 7 nights half board Barcelo Santiago, Tenerife from €719pps, depart March 4. 7 nights half board 4* Los Gigantes Hotel, Tenerife from €729pps, depart March 11. 7 nights self catering Cay Beach Princess Bungalows, Gran Canaria from €619pps, depart March 12. 14 nights all inclusive 5* Sensatori Mexico, Riviera Maya, Mexico from €2,559pps, depart June 20. 14 nights all inclusive 5* Sensatori Jamaica, Negril from €2,609pp, depart tune 19. Visit thomsonholidays.ie.
Falcon offers: 14 nights all inclusive 3* Royal Decameron Club, Runaway Beach, Jamaica from €4,609 2+1, from €6,379 2+2, depart June 19. 7 nights all inclusive 3* Club Alize, Marmaris, Dalaman from €1,439 2+1, from €1,999 2+2, depart June 13. 7 nights all inclusive 4* Blue Lagoon, Kos Town from €2,399 2+1, from €3,849 2+2, depart June 18. 7 nights self catering 3* Globales Tamaimo Tropical, Puerto De Santiago, Tenerife from €429pp, depart March 4. 7 nights all inclusive 3* IFA InterCLub Atlantic, San Agustin, Gran Canaria from €619pp, depart March 5. 7 nights all inclusive 3* Lazasur Splash, Playa Blanca, Lanzarote from €819pp, depart March 13. Visit falconholidays.ie or call 1850 45 35 45.
Travel Department USA and Canada offers: 10 nights tour of Western Canada and the Rockies from €2,199pp incl. flights, transfers and national park entrance fees, depart September 28. 9 nights tour of Canada’s Maple Leaf Trail from €1, 729pp incl. flights, transfers, accommodation and excursions, travel May to October. 12 nights California and the Golden West by Rail from €3,399pp incl. flights, transfers, B&B accommodation, rail tickets and excursions, depart September 1.
Brittany Ferries expanded its golf programme to include a three-venue tournament, June 5-7: The week-long package features Dinard, Val André and St Cast courses in France. 7 5 nights B&B in a hotel from €615pp incl. return car ferry travel, B&B hotel accommodation and tournament green fees. Visit brittanyferries.ie/golf, email email@example.com or call 021 425 3118.
Royal Caribbean’s Go All In offers: 7 nights Western Mediterranean family cruise on Harmony of the Seas from €2,339pp incl. return flights, depart August 7. 5 nights Explore Europe cruise on Ovation of the Seas from €979pp incl. return flights, depart April 17. 11 nights Southern Caribbean cruise on Serenade of the Seas from €1,830pp incl. return flights, depart December 12. Visit royalcaribbean.ie or call 1800 555 604.
Click and Go offers: 7 nights self catering 4* Four Elements Suites Aparthotel, La Pineda, Salou from €329pp incl. return flights, airport transfers, taxes and charges, travel in April. 3 nights 5* Hilton Vienna Danube Hotel, Vienna from €389pp incl. return flights, airport taxes and charges, travel in May. 3 nights 3* Villacarlos Hotel, Valencia from €219pp incl. return flights, airport taxes and charges, travel in April. 7 nights self catering 3* BelleVue Club Aparthotel, Alcudia, Majorca from €299pp incl. return flights, airport transfers, taxes and charges, travel in May. Visit clickandgo.com or call 01 539 7777.
ITAA Mother’s Day offers and gift ideas: 5 nights Qawra Palace Hotel, Malta from €329pps incl. flights, bags and transfers, depart March 5. 3 nights 4* Best Western Alfa Aeropuerto, Barcelona from €199pps incl. return flights, depart March 4. 3 nights B&B trip to Iceland from €559pps incl. accommodation, flights, return airport transfer and tour guide, depart October 13.
Tour America Christmas 2016 offers, prices based on 2 adults and 2 children sharing: 7 nights Rosen Inn, Pointe Orlando from €729pp incl. return flights, depart December 21. 10 nights Rosen Inn, Pointe Orlando from €759pp incl. return flights, depart December 17. 14 nights Rosen Inn, Pointe Orlando from €899pp incl. return flights, depart December 19. Visit touramerica.ie.
Lowcostholiday 4* and 5* beach holidays: 7 nights all inclusive 4* Monica Isabel Beach Club, Algarve from €290pps, depart April 9. 7 nights B&B 4* BlueBay beach club, Gran Canaria from €399pp, depart April 16. 7 nights B&B 4* Hotel Interpalace by Blue Sea, Tenerife from €405pp, depart April 10. 7 nights B&B 4* Hotel Sol Lanzarote from €496pp, depart April 18. 7 nights self catering 5* Geranios Suite and Spa, Fuerteventura from €435pp, depart April 16. 7 nights half board 4* Blue Bay Banus, Costa Del Sol from €335pp, depart April 16. Visit lowcostholidays.ie.
Irish Ferries is offering 3 nights Haven breaks from €452 2+2, depart March 26, 4 nights from €542 2+2, depart March 28, 7 nights from €816 2+2, depart March 28, Prices include return car ferry crossing. Visit irishferries.com/haven or call 0818 300 400.
Uniworld Boutique River Cruises is offering 8-day tour of Bordeaux, Vineyards and Chateaux from €2,159pps incl. flights, transfers, all meals and beverages and all shore excursions. Depart March 13. Visit uniworld.ie or 01 775 3806.
Insight Vacations is offering a 9-day Bohemian tour of 5 countries from €2,419pps incl. flights, transfers and accommodation, depart May 28. Book by February 29. Visit insightvacations.com or call 01 775 3803
Contiki is offering a 5-day tour of Vienna and Budapest from €999pps incl. flights, transfers and accommodation, depart March 26. Visit contiki.com or call 01 775 3803.
Topflight offers: 7 nights self catering 4* Bella Italia, Lake Garda from €449pps incl. return flights, transfers and taxes, depart March 27. 7 nights all inclusive 4* Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, Lanzarote from €1,069pps incl. return flights, transfers, depart March 26. 7 nights self catering 3* Hotel THB Flora, Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote from €629pps incl. return flights, transfers and taxes, depart March 26. 7 nights self catering 2* Daina Apartments, Andorra from €419pps incl. return flights, transfers and all taxes, depart March 27. 7 nights half board 4* Grand Hotel in Zell am See from €1,169pps incl. return flights, transfers and taxes, depart March 19. Visit topflight.ie or call 01 240 1700.
Tourism NI offers: 1 night B&B Roe Park Resort, Limavady, Co Derry from £124.50pps incl. Swedish back massage, Elemis taster facial, complimentary use of Fairways Health Club and evening meal in choice of two restaurants, available until March 15, call (028) 7772 2222. 1 night Valley Hotel, Fivemiletown, Co Tyrone from £99 per room incl. 4-course evening meal for two, available until March 13, call (028) 8952 1505. 2 nights B&B Shola Coach House, Portrush, Co Antrim from £44pps incl. complimentary bottle of bubbly and afternoon tea on arrival, quote Romantic Break with Bibble when booking, available until February 29, visit sholabandb.com.
See travelextra.tv for more video.
More video on Travel Extra’s Youtube Channel.
Upcoming events of interest to the trade
- Feb 20-March 1 IHF Conference, Killarney
- Feb 20-21 Fly Shannon Holiday Show, University of Limerick Arena
- Feb 22-25
Go West Summit, Anchorage
- Feb 24-27 Guangzhou International Travel Fair
- Feb 29-Mar 1 IHF Conference, Gleneagle Hotel, Killarney
- March 2-6 BTL, LIsbon
- March 3-6 Utazas, Budapest
- March 3-9 Travel South, Winston-Salem
- March 9-13 ITB, Berlin
- March 14-17 Seatade Global, Fort Lauderdale
- March 16-17 Britain and Ireland Travel Show, Birmingham
- March 17-20 Tur, Gothenburg
- March 23-27 MITT, Moscow
- March 26-27 Skål National Convention Ireland, Killarney
- April 2-9 Mountain Travel Symposium, Keystone Heights
- April 4-9 Meetings & Incentive Forum, Dubai
- April 5-7 Rendez Vous France, Montpelier
- April 5-7 WTTC Global Summit, Dallas
- April 6-8 WTM Africa, Cape Town
- April 6-8 World Tourism Forum summit, Istanbul
- April 7 Irish Travel Industry Trade Show, Ballsbridge Hotel (formerly Jury’s Hotel)
- April 7 ITAA AGM
- April 11-12 Meitheal, RDS, Dublin
- April 12-14 COTTM, Beijing
- April 13 Sunway Trade Lunch
- April 17-19 Germany Travel Market, Magdeburg
- April 17-21 Virtuoso, Cape Town
- April 18 NYC & Company Sales Mission
- April 19-20 Eyefortravel Travel Distribution Summit, London
- April 19-21 IMEX, Frankfurt
- April 23 Irish Tourism Industry Awards
- Apr 23-26 Routes Europe Krakow
- April 24-27 Rendez-vous Canada,
- Apr 25-28 Tianguis Turistico, Guadlajara
- April 25-28 ATM, Dubai
- April 28 Air Canada trade reception, Canadian Embassy, Wilton Place, 6pm
- May 2-5 We Are Africa, Cape Town
- May 7-9 Indaba, Durban
- May 10-13 Trenz New Zealand
- May 10-13 World Travel Fair Shanghai
- May 11-15 Fitcuba, Havana
- May 19-20 CLIA, Southampton
- May 15-19 ATE, Gold Coast
- May 19-22 Irish Open, Straffan
- May 22-26 Meetings & Incentive Forum, Scottsdale
- June 1-3 IATA world congress, Dublin
- June 1-4 ILA Berlin Air show
- June 8-10 TTM Plus, Bangkok
- June 9 Thomson Discovery launch
- June 18-22 IPW (Pow Wow), New Orleans
- June 28-July 2 Meetings & Incentive Forum, Madrid
- July 11-17 Farnborough Air show
- July 17 Foynes Air Show
- Sept 3-4 Air Waves, Portrush
- Sept 6-8 Seatrade Europe, Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Sept 14-16 Travelmart Latin America, Iguassu Falls, Brazil
- Sept 7-9, PATA Travel Mart, Jakarta
- Sept 29-Oct 2 Top Resa, Paris
- Sept 10-13 FITA, Santa Cruz
- Sept 19-22, Adventure Travel World Summit, Anchorage
- Sept 25-27 World Routes, Chengdu
- Sept 26-30 Meetings & Incentive Forum, Madrid
- Oct 15 NI Travel Trade Awards, Newcastle, Co Down
- Oct 29-Nov 1 Skål World Congress, Monaco,
- Nov 7-9, WTM London
- Nov 10 Scottish Travel Trade Awards,
- Nov 19-21 CLIA rivercruise conference, Amsterdam
- Nov 25 ITTN Awards
- Nov 29-Dec 1 IBTM World, Barcelona
- Jan 20-22 2017 Holiday World. Titanic Exhibition Centre, Belfast
- Jan 27-29 2017 Holiday World, RDS Simmonscourt, Dublin
- June 3-7 2017 IPW (Pow Wow), Washington DC
- Jan 19-21 2018 Holiday World. Titanic Exhibition Centre, Belfast
- Jan 26-28 2018 Holiday World, RDS Simmonscourt, Dublin
- May 19-23 2018 IPW (Pow Wow), Denver
- 2019 – 2024
- Jan 18-20 2019 Holiday World. Titanic Exhibition Centre, Belfast
- Jan 25-27 2019 Holiday World, RDS Simmonscourt, Dublin
June 1-5 2019 IPW (Pow Wow), Anaheim
May 30 –June 3 2020 IPW (Pow Wow), Las Vegas
April 24-28 2021 IPW (Pow Wow), Chicago
June 4-8 2022 IPW (Pow Wow), Orlando
May 20-23, 2023 IPW (Pow Wow), San Antonio
May 4-8, 2024 IPW (Pow Wow), Los Angeles
Previous editions of Travel Extra’s Sunday Supplement:
- Jan 31 – Jan 24 – Jan 17 – Jan 10 – Jan 3
- Dec 27 – Dec 20 – Dec 13 – Dec 6
- Nov 29 – Nov 22 – Nov 15 – Nov 8 – Nov 1 –
- Oct 25 – Oct 18 – Oct 11 – Oct 4 –
- Sept 27 – Sept 20 – Sept 13 – Sept 6 –
- Aug 30 – Aug 23 – Aug 16 – Aug 9 – Aug 2
- July 26 – July 19 – July 12 – July 5
- June 28 – June 21 – June 14 – June 7 –
- May 31 – May 24 – May 17 – May 10 – May 3
- Apr 25 – Apr 18 – Apr 11 – Apr 4
- Mar 29 – Mar 22 – Mar 15 – Mar 8 – Mar 1
- Feb 22 – Feb 15 – Feb 8 – Feb 1
- Jan 25 – Jan 18 – Jan 11– Jan 4
- March 2016 Travel Awards Issue
- February 2016 Holiday World Issue
- January 2016
- November 2015: Winter cruise issue
October 2015: Ski issue
- September 2015: Accommodation issue
July/August 2015: Wintersun issue
June 2015: USA issue
May 2015: The Australia issue
April 2015: Summer Cruise issue