Things to know about travel this week
- Canada the focus of Travel Extra May edition
- 179 T/A flights a week from Dublin this summer
- Tiocfaidh ár LA: Lingus lights up new destination
- Vancouver gets thumbs up from ambassador
- Fanad sheds a new light
- Who will head up Fáilte Ireland?
- Irish agents shine in Birmingham.
- Passport office looks back
- Sunway turns 50
- German beer purity turns 500 (let’s drink to that)
Travel Extra TV
Our video of the week shows incredible drone footage of grey whales and bottlenose dolphins off the coast of California. Watch here.
- Nicole Kidman stars in Etihad’s virtual reality film trailer, shot on board an A380’s Residence suite. Viewers can explore the aircraft using Google Cardboard and Samsung Gear headsets. You can still have a look around if you don’t have the technology (use the arrows on the top left corners to toggle the screen). Watch here.
- Joe Joe the capybara takes a dip in the pool. Watch here.
- Embraer celebrated the delivery of its 1,000th business jet. Watch here.
- Perth stand up paddle boarders had to get out of the water after salmon went into a “flapping frenzy”. Watch here.
- Emirates posted a video of its Arabian Travel Market highlights. Watch here.
- See Tourism Ireland’s video showcasing Game of Thrones activities and locations in N Ireland. Watch here.
- Ryanair staff list where they would travel this bank holiday weekend. Watch here.
- Aer Lingus promoted its Los Angeles route by bringing The Calypso Tumblers from Venice Beach to South King Street. Watch here.
- See timelapse footage of the Mama & Baby Panda sculpture being installed on Royal Caribbean’s Ovation of the Seas. Watch here.
- Fáilte Ireland published a new video to promote Dublin—A Breath of Fresh Air. Watch here.
- Shocking footage was published online this week showing an English family being attacked by a crowd of hooligans while they were on a night out in Thailand. Readers are warned that they may find this footage upsetting. Watch here.
- Turkish Airlines drove the Batmobile to Istanbul as part of its latest marketing campaign. Watch here.
- See a B787-9 Dreamliner being assembled and painted. Watch here.
Behind the Headlines
Left or right? Which way should you turn when you enter a theme park? Check out the knowledge section in the May 2016 print edition of Travel Extra which will be hitting the agencies in the coming days. It features news of Canada’s 29 flights each week from Ireland this summer with destination reviews of the sprawling country, Halifax in Nova Scotia (watch video here) and the polar bears of Manitoba where Travel Extra caught up with a man who had a lucky escape when confronted by a polar bear on the streets of Churchill (watch dramatic video footage here). We also review the Midi-Pyrenees district where separate Aer Lingus services to Toulouse and (new) Montpelier have opened up new road trips (watch video here, see interview with Anne Romiguerre in the French heritage village of Conques here and watch our report on the highlights of Montpelier here). We hear from new ITAA President Cormac Meehan on his plans to grow membership of the organisation (watch video here) analyse the great rate debate in Dublin hotels, the merger of big hotel groups, the three big theme park openings in Florida and other theme park news, how the third ship in Royal Caribbean’s Quantum class Ovation of the Seas is a game changer, and how Tourism Ireland’s eye have turned to Germany and our extensive aviation section features Ryanair’s latest u-turn on bag charges., Travel Extra‘s team of award winning travel writers and photographers are already trotting the globe preparing the May 2016 issue which will detail what is a big year for tourism to each of America’s 50 states and an exciting summer for river cruise for 2016. See the print issue here
The LAExperience event in the Marker Hotel in Dublin helped create a little excitement for Aer Lingus big-ticket route launch for this summer, with tumbling dancers, hair and make-up, bicycle smoothies and hoop yoga on offer for invited media. The direct service to LAX which is due to recommence on Thursday (yes, Travel Extra will be travelling on your behalf). Watch here the fun and frolics from the event. Aer Lingus say Los Angeles is a very different route from the San Francisco service which Aer Lingus resumed in 2014, with fewer “beyond” connections on the American side. Flights will be four weekly and take 11 hours. Picture shows Declan Kearney and Paula Donaghy of Aer Lingus. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
Celebrity Cruises and Travel Centres hosted travel agents at L’Ecrivain, the restaurant owned by avid cruisers Sally Ann and Derry Clarke. Agents pictured with Lorraine Quinn of Celebrity Cruises and Derry Clarke include: Dominic Burke of Travel Centres, Clare Dunne of The Travel Broker, Catherine Myler of Newbridge Travel, Ciara Mooney of Freedom Travel, Jeff Collins of Best4 Travel, Sarah of Best4Travel, Jackie Spain of K Travel, Emily of K Travel, Fiona Kelly of Freedom Travel. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
Florida is anticipating a record 100,000 visitors from Ireland in 2016, according to Colin Brodie from Visit Florida who hosted 70 members of the travel trade at and event in the Morrison Hotel. Picture shows John Keogh from Aer Lingus with Colin at the event. Irish people tend to visit the state when it is at its hottest and most humid but there are signs that that may be changing. Aer Lingus will have four flights weekly from September. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
Germany celebrated the 50th anniversary of their famous beer purity laws this week. Watch here the exploration into Bavarian and Thuringlian beer culture by 16 fearless travel writers from 14 countries, all delegates to Germany Travel Market, with Ireland’s national reputation rested in the safe hands of Travel Extra. And yes the parting glass was sung.
Canada has been the star performer among destinations served from Dublin airport, airport MD Vincent Harrison told 65 guests at a function in the Canadian Embassy on Thursday, watch here (or listen here). The pre-launch event was to promote the Dublin to Vancouver 3w direct service which Air Canada Rouge commences on June 10, the only widebody service to Canada this summer with a 280-seat Boeing 767-300 aircraft in a two class configuration, operating until October 9. Flights will depart Dublin at 11.35 on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, arriving at 13.35 in Vancouver. The return service will depart Vancouver at 15.05 arriving in Dublin at 08.35 the next morning. Watch here Canadian ambassador Kevin Vickers, who told guests that the Dublin flights were shorter than some internal flights in Canada (listen here). Watch here Eamon Flanagan reminding agents of the Premier Rouge premier options and wide number of onward connections from Vancouver (or listen here). Watch here Air Canada’s new two-country manager Stephen Gerrard, based in London, say that Air Canada was the fastest growing airline in the world outside of the Gulf and Turkey (or listen here). Picture shows Eamon Flanagan of Premair/Air Canada Rouge and Canadian Ambassador Kevin Vickers. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
Kildare Fáilte’s new chair Tony Lenehan told guests at an event in Punchestown that he welcomed input into a new strategy document for the county to help double the number of overnights spent in Kildare by 2020. It is a big year for Kildare tourism with a food festival associated with the Irish Open in Straffan in May and with the Derby in the Curragh in June. Watch here Tony Lenehan speaking at the event (or listen here) and watch here Dick O’Sullivan, manager of Punchestown racecourse (or listen here) The Dubai Duty Free Irish Open is targeting over 100,000 with the possibility the total might reach 130,000 beating the record of Royal Portrush in 2014. Picture shows Des Smyth and Tony Lenehan being interviewed at Punchestown.
Fanad Lighthouse opened its new visitor centre and three accommodation unties to the public on Friday, and now becomes the second stop on the wild Atlantic way going south. It is the only lighthouse in the Gaeltacht open to the public. Failte Ireland CEO Shaun Quinn spoke at the opening. Watch here interview with Eimear MacMathuna, manager of the facility.
Travel Extra fulfilled a long-wished for visit to the fifth Canary island La Gomera, a 30 minute ferry ride from Tenerife to an island that has preserved the high-leaked landscape and dreamy romanticism of the Canary Islands of our childhood. Watch here some forest walks, whale watching, fine dining, fun and frolics from the Irish travel writers who were hosted on the island by Canaries Tourism and the Spanish Tourist Board and watch here interview with tour guide Gordo Wenck who came to visit in 1977 and never left. Watch here the dolphin and whale watching trip with Tina Excursions (and yes, that is Travel Extra‘s editor in the water, NOT as many thought, a whale). Picture shows Gordo Wenck, John O’Dowd, Aisling Scally, Thomas Breathnach, Roisin Healy, and David Donohue. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
Tryphavana Cross and Reginald Charlot of NYC & Company hosted travel agents at a table quiz in The Marker Hotel to publicise the city’s tourist programme for 2016. By July 2016, 500 state-of-the-art LinkNYC kiosks will come to New York City’s five boroughs, offering free high-speed Internet, phone calls, and device charging for residents and visitors. Staten Island Ferry service was expanded to run every 30 minutes, seven days a week, between St. George Ferry Terminal in Staten Island and Whitehall Ferry Terminal in Lower Manhattan.he MTA’s Second Avenue Subway will be New York City’s first major expansion of the subway system in more than 50 years, due December 2016, Mark Ashfield was the quiz winner.
Sunway turned 50 this week, watch here interview with Tanya Airey by Travel Extra, watch here the official Sunway commemorative video and read here feature on Sunway in the print edition of Travel Extra. Sunway’s 50th Trade birthday party will take place on August 10. Picture shows Tanya Airey MD of Sunway with Product managers Mary Denton and Deirdre Sweeny,
Royal Caribbean will host 200 trade partners fromIreland on the pre-inaugural sailing from Southampton on Friday May 20 until Sunday May 22, making this the largest ever Irish trade event on board a cruise ship and the largest exodus of travel trade on one outing since the ITAA conferences in Benalmadena in 1996 and Algarve in 1999. Listen here to Ben Bouldin speaking about the importance of hosting agents over a period of days rather than port ship visits, which is like seeing the ship with the lights off.
Pamela Brownlee of Flyaway Travel won most forward thinking agent at the TTG awards in Birmingham. Tom Donohue won best Irish agent and Sandra Corkin of Oasis the best agent from the north. Dublin once had a Viking queen called Aud the Deep-minded. Ballina now has their own.
This year’s Travel Funday takes place on August 28th 2016 in Wanderers Football Club, Donnybrook, Dublin 4. The 2016 Travel Funday team is Sharon Jordan of TTC, Ciaran Mulligan of Blue Insurance, John Grehan of TTC, Yvonne Muldoon of Aer Lingus, Paul Manning of Hertz, Volker Lorenz of Amadeus, Philip Airey of Sunway, Fiona Foster of Innstant, Rhona McCann of FCM, Dave O’Grady of ETravel, Kristin Skinner of American Holidays and Sharon Lyons of Travelport. The trade is asked to nominate charities with a proposal of 1,000 words by May 20 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Topflight say they have improved conversion rates by 20pc and increased average margin for both Topflight and our Travel Agents with a sales process that ensures the first quote provided to a customer matches requirements more exactly. Maurice Shiels, Topflight’s Sales Manager, says improvements have been particularly significant for our multi-centre itineraries in USA, Canada, Mexico and Thailand and their Cruise and Stay programme. Picture shows Anthony Collins of Topflight and Joana Dias of Madeira Promotion Bureau with Michelle Anderson and Maurice Shiels of Topflight at the Topflight Madeira training evening. Jennifer Byrne and Greta Paulauske were prize winers on the night. Topflight is recruiting senior sales staff for its worldwide division. Details here. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
Picture shows Anthony Long Nolan at Tianguis Turistico in Guadalajara with the secretary of Tourism Valladolid. He was interviewed for state television Jalisco. Anthony is working in tourism in Mexico in conjunction with Celtic Horizons.
Picture shows Shannon O’Dowd of Etihad and Majella Greene of O’Callaghan Travel at the Etihad Airways regional event at Riva’s restaurant Dundalk. See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
Irish freelance travel writer Yvonne Gordon has been shortlisted for the International travel writer award at the Malta travel awards.
Superbreak launched a guaranteed free place groups policy. For every 20 adults travelling, the 21st will be accommodated for free.
Watch here John Grehan talking up Uniworld’s offering to the trade in his own inimitable fashion in a presentation to agents at The Residence in Dublin. Watch here Sharon Jordan launching Uniworld’s 2016-7 programme. Eilish Wall also spoke to agents about the importance of the trade in selling five and four star Red Carnation product, which has a solid presence in London. Watch here. Sharon Jordan emphasised the value of river cruise in what will be a summer of high prices for holidays in general (listen here), pointed out that rivercruise could be a family holiday (listen here) and reported that Uniworld had been voted best of 300 river ships on the Nile (listen here). John Grehan stressed that the boats all have their own character (listen here) and extolled the virtues of the three for two offer (listen here). See more pictures here or connect with the album on Facebook.
Picture shows Kirsi-Marja Salonen of the Finnish travel agents association and Pat Dawson CEO of the Irish Travel Agents Association. Pat made a presentation on the evolution of dynamic packaging to Finnish travel agents a their AGM in Dublin.
- Grenham Travel was named family business of the year at the Athlone Business Awards. Picture shows Pauline Grenham, Edel Parker, Marie Grenham, John Mc Grath, President of Athlone Chamber of Commerce, Amanda Sharkey Byrne and Rachael Donnelly.
- Skal Dublin’s next function takes place in The Conrad Hotel on May 10.
- Travelport’s Mobile Agent app is now available on Windows-operated smartphones. Germania Swiss is live on Travelport’s Rich Content and Branding.
- Liam Lonergan was 203rd on The Sunday Times’ 2016 Irish Rich List. His wealth was estimated to be €58m.
The IHF Western Branch Annual Hospitality Ball in the Ardilaun Hotel raised €3,390.30 for local charity Jigsaw Galway. Pictured presenting the cheque are: John Ryan of, Ardilaun Hotel & Shay Livingstone, Chairman of Galway Irish Hotels Federation andThe Connacht Hotel and Justin McDermott of Jigsaw Galway. Jigsaw Galway is a free confidential support service for young people (15-25) living in Galway city and county.
- Starwood Hotels & Resorts said it expects to grow its Middle East portfolio by 100 hotels by 2020.
- B&B Ireland announced a partnership with its French counterpart, CléVacances.
- Choice Hotels signed an agreement with Equinox Ventures to develop its brands across the UAE and Saudi Arabia.
- Marriott plans to open 17 new properties across the Middle East and Africa (MEA) region.
- Disney has reintroduced free dining when booking a Disney moderate, deluxe or deluxe villa resort or free breakfast for Disney value resorts.
- Wendy Wu Tours unveiled a brand new 11-day tour for winter 2017 where travellers can spend a day at the Sapporo Snow Festival.
- EU mobile roaming charges were reduced this week. The maximum cost of making a call has been reduced from 19c to 5c per minute plus the domestic network’s price. The charge for downloading data has been reduced from 20c per MB to 5c per MB plus the domes network’s price.
Food and Wine
- Nancy’s Barn of Ballyliffen, Co Donegal was named All-Ireland Chowder Champion at the sixth annual All-Ireland Chowder Cook-off in Kinsale.
- Burren Slow Food Week Festival 2016 takes place May 27–29.
- Fáilte Ireland issued a reminder for nominations to join its Food Tourism Development Network. Nominees are asked to email email@example.com or call Shan Raftery on 01 884 7835 by 12 noon this Friday (May 6).
Ryanair announced four winter 2016 routes from Belfast International to Gdansk, Warsaw and Wroclaw, in addition to the seven routes announced earlier to Alicante, Berlin, Krakow, Lanzarote, Malaga, Milan and Tenerife
Dublin Airport issued a statement detailing its busiest ever summer, with seven short-haul and six long-haul destinations added to the flight schedule, five of these already served by other carriers. For ten weeks this summer Dublin will be busier than the busiest week of last summer. North America capacity is up 13pc with 24 flights a day and 170 flights a week to 12 USA and four Canadian destinations, Europe up 9pc.
Whither Stobart Air? This week there was an intriguing referenence about the former Aer Arann in The Irish Times to IAA concern about “management tensions.“ Tim Jeans has been replaced as chairman by Stobart Group CEO Andrew Tinkler. CEO of Stobart Air, Sean Brogan, would like to head a buy-out. Cityjet may also be interesting with Aer Lingus’s chariman Willie Walsh watching his franchise with a stern eye.
The large selection panel is still finding it difficult to find a new director of administration for the Commission for Aviation Regulation. Re-advertising the position is under consideration.
Picture shows John Griffin the Kerry County Council Tourism Officer, Kathleen Walshe Communications, Cork Airport, Kevin Cullinane Cork Airport Head of Communications, Kate O’Leary President of Killarney Chamber of Tourism and Commerce and Paul O’Neill of Killarney Chamber at an event hosted by Cork Airport in The Killarney Park Hotel.
- Etihad Airways announced a deal with WME | IMG to become a sponsor to 17 fashion week events around the world annually.
- Routes Europe was handed over from Krakow to Belfast, where the conference will be held in 2017, Picture shows Anita Gackowska, Head of Aviation Marketing and Mathias Richter, Aviation Marketing Specialist from Cork airport who attended the event.
- China Southern become the 157th airline to adopt Travelport Rich Content and Branding.
- Cape Verde’s international airports adopted Amadeus airport common use service.
- AWAS placed an A330-300 into storage after it came off lease from Singapore Airlines and placed two A330-300s on long-term lease for Hong Kong Airlines
- Shannon Airport is the main sponsor of this year’s Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann in Ennis.
- WOW air launched a Snapchat competition, calling on entrants to submit a Snap Story to snaptraveler.wowair.com. The winners will each visit four destinations serviced by the airline and document their travels on Snapchat.
- Shannon Group reported post-tax profits of €7.3m for 2015. Passenger numbers at Shannon Airport were up 5pc last year.
- As part of its Batman v Superman marketing campaign, Turkish Airlines drove the Batmobile to Istanbul. See the promo video in this week’s Travel Extra TV.
- A survey by Skyscanner found that Dublin Airport is the most popular airport for self-connecting passengers.
- Boeing will deliver a record number of aircraft to Turkish Airlines this year: six 777-300ERs and 20 Next Generation 737-800s.
Dacia partnered with Stena Line. Passengers are offering up to 50pc off sailings from Ireland to Britain and up to 20pc off sailings from Ireland to France when they order and register a 161 Dacia before May 31.
- Forty-four passengers on Rhapsody of the Seas reportedly had to abandon their cruise after a large wave broke windows and flooded cabins during the first night of a nine-night cruise in the Mediterranean.
- Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 was denied entry to Aqaba and Salalah because of a suspected outbreak of norovirus.
- Godmother Claudine Pepin, daughter of French chef Jacques Pepin, christened Oceania Cruises’ 684-passenger Sirena in Barcelona.
- Hurtigruten will introduce its young explorers programme to MS Midnatsol from November 2016 to March 2017. The programme, aimed at passengers aged seven to 13, features activities focused on the environment.
- Disney Cruise Lines relaxed the dress code at its adult-only restaurant, Palo, allowing passengers to wear jeans.
The race is on for a new CEO for Fáilte Ireland with the imminent departure of Shaun Quinn. John Concannon and Paul Keeley are the leading internal candidates but the question is whether the ex-Ryanair chair of Fáilte Ireland Michael Cawley would prefer someone from an aviation or retail background.
- The refurbishment of Dublin T1 will reportedly leave no Fáilte Ireland information desk in the terminal which receives more incoming visitors than any other in the State.
- Tourism Ireland continues its Game of Thrones advertising campaign as the popular series launched its sixth season. The 2016 campaign includes the unveiling of 10 carved doors depicting moments from the show and a Game of Thrones-themed stamp.
- CSO figures show that visits to Ireland between January and March were up 16.6pc YOY.
- EPIC Ireland, an interactive visitor experience documenting the influence of Irish diaspora, opens to the public at CHQ on Custom House Quay this Thursday (May 7).
- Brian Cody helped launch the new zip line at Castlecome Discovery Park. At 300m long, it claims to be Ireland’s longest over-water zip line.
- Martin Kaymer confirmed that he will participate in this month’s Dubai Duty Free Irish Open at The K Club.
Turkish Airlines is offering Dublin–Hong Kong via Istanbul from €476pp incl. taxes and charges. Book by May 4, depart by May 26. Visit turkishairlines.com.
Lowcostbeds offers, 7 nights based on two sharing, depart May 21: 2* Castillo Beach, Caleta de Fuste, Fuerteventura from €9pppn self catering. 2* Puerto Sol, Caleta de Funste, Fuerteventura from €13pppn self catering. 3* Atlantic Gardens, Corralego, Fuerteventura from €17pppn self catering. 3* Kirstal Hotel, Torremolinos from €17pppn B&B. 3* Parasol Gardens, Torremolinos from €20pppn B&B. 3* Buensol Apartments, Torremolinos from €21pppn self catering. Visit lowcostbeds.com.
Click and Go offers: 7 nights self catering 4* Elotis Suites Aparthotel, Crete from €389pp incl. return flights, airport transfers, taxes and charges, travel in May. 7 nights B&B 4* Sana Sesimbra Hotel, Costa Azul from €499pp incl. return flights, airport transfers, taxes and charges, travel in September. 7 nights B&B 5* The Volcan Lanzarote Hotel from €599pp incl. return flights, airport transfers, taxes and charges, travel in December. Visit clickandgo.com or call 01 539 7777.
Thomson offers: 14 nights all inclusive Riu Lupita, Playacar, Mexico from €1,159pps, depart June 13. 14 nights all inclusive Clubhotel Riu Negril, Jamaica from €1,359pps, depart June 19. 14 nights all inclusive Riu Tequila, Mexico form €1,239pps, depart June 20. 7 nights self catering Roda Oasis, Corfu from €469pps, depart May 20. 7 nights self catering Ourania Apartments, Gouves, Crete from €369pps, depart May 22. 7 nights self catering Silver Springs Hotel, Sunny Beach, Bulgaria from €329pps, depart May 23. 7 nights full board Mediterranean Medley cruise on board Thomson Majesty from €959pps, depart May 31. 7 nights half board 3* Hotel Belvedere, Costa Dorada from €699pps, depart Knock July 12. 7 nights half board Hotel Talayot, Cala Millor, Majorca from €539pps, depart Shannon June 18. Summer 2017 collection is on sale now. Visit thomsonholidays.ie or call 1850 45 35 45.
Sunway offers: 8 day escorted adventure tour of Costa Rica from €1,359pp, solo traveller from €1,758pp, depart June 11. 7 nights all inclusive Punta Cana from €1,539pp, depart November 12. 11 nights 5* Celebrity Eastern Med Cruise on board Celebrity Reflection from €1,249pp, depart August 29. 13 nights 5* Holland America Line Baltics cruise on board MS Zuiderdam from €1,259pp incl. 1 pre night in Copenhagen, depart May 28. 7 nights self catering 3* Luna Miramar Apartments, Albufeira, Algarve from €299pp, depart May 7. 7 nights self catering 4* Vistamar Aparthotel, Costa del Sol from €329pp, depart May 7. 7 nights self catering 2* Puerto Carment Aparthotel, Lanzarote from €369pp, depart May 7. 7 nights self catering 3* Puerto Plata Apartments, Gran Canaria from €379pp, depart May 7. 7 nights self catering 3* Ola Bouganvillia Aparthotel, Santa Ponsa from €299pp, depart May 7. 7 nights self catering 2* Carmen Apartments, Sicily from €349pp, depart May 14. Visit sunway.ie or call 01 231 1800.
Travel Department offers: 4 nights B&B Costa Brava from €299pp incl. return flights, transfers, taxes and charges, depart May 12. 7 nights half board Salamanca from €699pp incl. return flights, transfers, taxes, charges and some excursions, depart October 6. 12 nights half board Sri Lanka from €2,799pp incl. return flights, transfers, taxes and charges, depart February 4 2017.
Royal Caribbean offers: 14 night Italian Mediterranean cruise on board Navigator of the Seas from €1,659pp, depart Cork July 10. 14 nights Mediterranean beaches cruise on board Independence of the Seas from €1,404pp, depart June 18. 7 nights Western Mediterranean cruise on board Harmony of the Seas from €2,155pp incl. all-inclusive drink package and $150 on board credit, depart July 24. Visit royalcaribbean.ie or call 1800 555 604.
Tour America offers: 3 nights LA, 3 nights Santa Barbara, 4 nights Huntington Beach from €1,299pp incl. flights and 10 days fully inclusive, depart September 16. 7 nights Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando from €549pp, depart October 18. 4 nights Excalibur Hotel, Las Vegas from €639pp incl. return flights, depart October 19. 3 nights Roosevelt Hotel, New York from €699pp incl. return flights, depart November 24. Visit touramerica.ie.
Irish Ferries is offering free travel for children aged 15 years and under for families traveling from Dublin to Holyhead and Rosslare to Pembroke. Up to six children per booking, travel until December 18. Book by May 17.
ITAA offers: 7 nights self catering 4* Aparthotel Resort Del Mar, Banjole, Istria Riviera, Croatia from €499pps incl. taxes, transfers and local rep, depart June 4. 7 nights Orlando from €589pp incl. return flights and accommodation, travel October. 11 days Borneo from €1,475pp incl. meals, transport, 2 nights accommodation in guesthouse, 1 night in homestay, 2 nights in hotel, 3 nights in jungle lodge and 2 nights in resort.
Topflight offers: 7 nights 4* Bella Italia, Lake Garda from €1,196 2+2, depart May 7 or 14. 7 nights 3* Madison Apartments, Adriatic Riviera from €2,076 2+2, depart June 18. 7 nights 4* Victoria Residences, Vilamoura, the Algarve from €1,876 2+2, depart May 7. 7 nights 4* Vila Petra Aparthotel, Albufeira from €1,998 2+2, depart June 4. 7 nights 4* Hotel Sandos Papagayo Beach Resort, Playa Blanca, Lanzarote from €2,987 2+2, depart May 28. 7 nights 4* Barcelo Lanzarote Resort, Costa Teguise from €3,625 2+2, depart June 18. All prices include transfers, taxes, return flights and €30pp online discount. Visit topflight.ie or call 01 240 1700.
Lowcostholidays offers: 7 nights self catering 3* Rio Apartments, the Algarve from €259pp, depart June 21. 7 nights B&B 5* Aqua Hotel Riverside Resort & Spa from €1,210 2+1, depart July 6. 7 nights self catering 3* Club Bellevue Apartments, Majorca, Algarve from €335pp, depart June 7. 7 nights B&B 5* Hotel Gran Bali, Costa Blanca from €1,305 2+1, depart July 6. 7 nights 3* Ramada Gateway Hotel & Inn, Orlando from €629pp, depart June 7. 5 nights 3* Seton Hotel, New York from €985pp, depart October 8. 5 nights 3* Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas from €649pp, depart October 8. 7 nights 3* Blue Sea Cancun Plaza, Cancun from €929pp, depart September 3. Visit lowcostholidays.ie or call 01 485 3835.
Stein Travel offers: 7 nights self catering Vista Blanes Apartments, Menorca from €589pp, depart Cork June 25, July 2 or July 9. 7 nights self catering Roc Lago Park, Menorca from €625pp, depart Cork June 25, July 2 or July 9. 7 nights B&B Sol Milanos Pinquinos Hotel, Menorca from €828pp, depart Cork June 25, July 2 or July 9. 7 nights self catering Lanzarote Paradise from €489pp, depart July 17, 24 or 31. 7 nights self catering Costa Mar Apartments, Lanzarote from €532pp, depart July 17, 24 or 31. 7 nights B&B 5* Volcan Lanzarote from €723pp, depart July 17, 24 or 31. 7 nights self catering Royal Costa, Costa del Sol from €548pp, depart Cork July 15, 23 or 30. 7 nights self catering Buensol, Costa del Sol from €605pp, depart Cork July 16, 23 or 30. 7 nights B&B 5* Gran Hotel Elba Estepona, Costa del Sol from €712pp, depart Cork July 16, 23 or 30. 7 nights self catering Mirachoro, the Algarve from €450pp, depart July 17, 24 or 30. 7 nights self catering Presidente Apartments, the Algarve from €527pp, depart July 17, 24 or 30. 7 nights B&B 5* Vale D’Oliverias, the Algarve from €809pp, depart July 17, 24 or 30. Visit steintravel.ie or call 01 517 5990
Cassidy Travel all inclusive offers: Algarve from €186pp. Costa Dorada from €238pp. Costa del Sol from €253pp. Majorca from €280pp. Lanzarote from €330pp. Fuerteventura from €344pp. Malta from €389pp. Visit cassidytravel.ie or call 1800 332 500.
See travelextra.tv for more video.
Upcoming events of interest to the trade
- May 2-5 We Are Africa, Cape Town
- May 7-9 Indaba, Durban
- May 10 Lowcostbeds, Amadeus, Blue Insurance, Classic Collection,
- May 10 MSC and SAS training day, Sligo
- May 10-13 Trenz New Zealand
- May 10-13 World Travel Fair Shanghai
- May 11-15 Fitcuba, Havana
- May 12 Lowcostbeds, Amadeus, Blue Insurance, Classic Collection,
- May 12 MSC and SAS training day, Limerick
- May 17 Lowcostbeds, Amadeus, Blue Insurance, Classic Collection,
- May 17 MSC and SAS training day, Cork
- May 19-20 CLIA, Southampton
- May 15-19 ATE, Gold Coast
- May 19-22 Irish Open, Straffan
- May 22-26 Meetings & Incentive Forum, Scottsdale
- May 24 Lowcostbeds, Amadeus, Blue Insurance, Classic Collection,
- May 24 MSC and SAS training day, Waterford
- May 25 Travelport Roadshow, Cork
- May 31 Travelport Roadshow Belfast
- June 1-3 IATA world congress, Dublin
- June 1-4 ILA Berlin Air show
- June 8-10 TTM Plus, Bangkok
- June 9 Thomson Discovery launch
- June 9 Travelport Roadshow Marker Hotel Dublin
- June 14t Skal@Merrion Hotel
- June 18-22 IPW (Pow Wow), New Orleans
- June 28-July 2 Meetings & Incentive Forum, Madrid
- July 11-17 Farnborough Air show
- July 12 Skal Evening BBQ@Gibson Hotel
- July 17 Foynes Air Show
- Aug 10 Sunway’s 50th Trade birthday party, details TBA
- Sept 3-4 Air Waves, Portrush
- Sept 6-8 Seatrade Europe, Santa Cruz de Tenerife
- Sept 14-16 Travelmart Latin America, Iguassu Falls, Brazil
- Sept 7-9, PATA Travel Mart, Jakarta
- Sept 29-Oct 2 Top Resa, Paris
- Sept 10-13 FITA, Santa Cruz
- Sept 19-22, Adventure Travel World Summit, Anchorage
- Sept 25-27 World Routes, Chengdu
- Sept 26-30 Meetings & Incentive Forum, Madrid
- Oct 11 Skal@Herbert Park Hotel
- Oct 15 NI Travel Trade Awards, Newcastle, Co Down
- Oct 29-Nov 1 Skål World Congress, Monaco,
- Nov 7-9, WTM London
- Nov 8 Skal@Tour Guinness Storehouse
- Nov 10 Scottish Travel Trade Awards,
- Nov 19-21 CLIA rivercruise conference, Amsterdam
- Nov 25 ITTN Awards
- Nov 29-Dec 1 IBTM World, Barcelona
- Dec 13 Skal President’s Lunch
- Jan 20-22 2017 Holiday World. Titanic Exhibition Centre, Belfast
- Jan 25 2017 Irish Travel Industry Awards, Mansion House, Dublin
- Jan 27-29 2017 Holiday World, RDS Simmonscourt, Dublin
- February 19-20 2017 Holiday Show in Association with Shannon Airport UL Limerick
- June 3-7 2017 IPW (Pow Wow), Washington DC
- Jan 19-21 2018 Holiday World. Titanic Exhibition Centre, Belfast
- Jan 26-28 2018 Holiday World, RDS Simmonscourt, Dublin
- May 19-23 2018 IPW (Pow Wow), Denver
2019 – 2024
- Jan 18-20 2019 Holiday World. Titanic Exhibition Centre, Belfast
- Jan 25-27 2019 Holiday World, RDS Simmonscourt, Dublin
- June 1-5 2019 IPW (Pow Wow), Anaheim
- May 30 –June 3 2020 IPW (Pow Wow), Las Vegas
- April 24-28 2021 IPW (Pow Wow), Chicago
- June 4-8 2022 IPW (Pow Wow), Orlando
- May 20-23, 2023 IPW (Pow Wow), San Antonio
- May 4-8, 2024 IPW (Pow Wow), Los Angeles
Previous editions of Travel Extra’s Sunday supplement
April 2016: Cruise issue
March 2016: Awards issue
February 2016: Holiday World issue
December/January 2015/16: Bridal issue
November 2015: Winter cruise issue
October 2015: Ski issue
September 2015: Accommodation issue
July/August 2015: Wintersun issue
June 2015: USA issue